- CYGNUS 894 is ideal for extending ports of a central Ethernet Switch to multiple remote locations in premises using an Optical Fiber Ring.
- Option is available for also accommodating async RS232 devices on the same Ring, by providing raw point-to-point connections between RS232 ports at the central site and the remote site.
- A Ring comprises of a CYGNUS 894C Central Node, and up to 8 CYGNUS 894R Remote Nodes. Each Node has 2 Fiber ports using which it connects to its previous and subsequent neighboring nodes. The Ring is closed by connecting a fiber port of the last Remote Node back to the Central Node.
- The Central Node can have a mix of Ethernet and RS232 interfaces. Two type of Remote Nodes are available – one with Ethernet interfaces, and the other with RS232 interface.
- The Ring network offers “ring protection”, i.e., if a fiber segment between 2 adjacent nodes fails, all user devices continue to have connectivity with the central site. Similarly If a Remote Node fails, user devices connected to the working Remote Nodes continue to have connectivity with the central site.
- The network avoids the cable clutter at the central sites which is common when point-to-point solutions such as LAN Extenders, Media Converters or Modems are used to extend connectivity from a central site to multiple remote sites. The cable length required to cover a premises is also less than that required in point-to-point solutions.
- The Network is flexible as it can be easily reconfigured to add, remove or shift nodes at a later date if required.
- Ring status is monitored continuously. Indicators on the Central Node allow easy identification of failed fiber segments or non-working Remote Nodes.
- Support AC or DC power supply